Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Air is evil, and other news...

It's funny how the little random note I put in my last post (about getting an eye exam) is the biggest development in my life since last week when I wrote that.

I went to the eye doctor for the first time, like, ever. At least that I can remember. And, by the way, they are cruel people. If you're unfamiliar, they do a little pre-test (always hated those in school, too. It's all the pain of a real test, but it doesn't count toward your grade. Awesome.). And in that pre-test, first they have you look into these two machines, then the lady says, "Okay, this next machine is gonna blow a puff of air into your eye." And you're sitting there like the little lab rat thinking, 'What the crap is she talking about?' And so you put your chin on the little stand and you put your eye up to the machine. And then BAM! She actually does it. She actually sends a puff of air into your eye.

And it's not some little breeze of wind, either. It's like a .50 caliber shot of air beind aimed directly into your eye. Don't tell me that's scientific. "Oh, well, looks like you have some eye damage, so, guess you need glasses!" It can't tell them anything about my eyes except that now they're irritated 'cause you shot a freaking bolt of air into my eye. Worst part? She did it three times. Uh, I only have two eyes, lady.

Anywho, after that was over, I went to see the doctor (who, for the record, could moonlight as an auctioneer; I swear I was in and out of his office in under five minutes), who then gave me the verdict: I'm farsighted. Apparently for the last who-knows-how-many years, I've been putting a lot of strain on my eyes by doing such simple things as reading, or using the computer; both of which I do a lot.

So, I got my perscription, and got to pick out my very first pair of frames. I guess I'm kinda picky when it comes to glasses, but hey, they've gotta go on my face, so why not be picky? I finally decided on a pair that make me look, as the guy said, "James Dean-ish", which I'm quite alright with.

I'm pretty excited, because headaches are not fun, and I've been getting them more and more (I've also been spending more time in front of computers and reading, a la editing and stuff). I've had them for a long time, but never really linked them to my eyes. After going 19 years without glasses, though, this'll be weird. But I like weird, and I like change, so, bring it.

Annoying part is, they still have to mail 'em out to me. They should be here by the 13th, but still...I kinda need them now...

-Micah

No comments:

Post a Comment